Tuesday 12 July 2011

Turkey Leg

He was so perfect, I was afraid that we would mess it up. 

I was afraid that if we let our true selves show, that he would reconsider, turn around and walk back out the door.  God knows the last thing a man with no children, but instead a very successful career and world travel, would want is a hick girlfriend with a farting son.

There was constantly mention of going away for a weekend - all three of us together.  He would ruffle up Charles’ hair and say ‘What’dya think bud?  Should we take your mom on a vacation?’

When he finally suggested a trip to Disney World, I was ecstatic.  The kiddo had never been anywhere close to a dream like Disney World.

I spent the days leading up to our trip quizzing Charles on how to behave on an airplane.  On how to hold a fork correctly at the dinner table.  I also explained that until we got to know him a bit better, that he should be called “Sir.” 

We talked about how we would never ask for something during our time at Disney World, but that if he asked, we could politely say thank you and accept it.

Our first few days went off without a hitch.  Shows, rides, great food.  We had created an instant family of sorts.  The kind that from the outside looking in, appeared as though we had been together from the start.  Charles was impressing him and I could not have been more pleased.

Just a day before our return flight home, Charles asked him if we could go get a Turkey Leg.  I think in hindsight, that there was a bit of showmanship and competition going on between these two.  Have you seen the size of those turkey legs? 

Charles plopped himself on a bench next to the entrance of a roller coaster ride and proceeded to make no bones about eating like it was a hot dog eating contest.  He quietly suggested to Charles that he slow down.  Take his time.  Enjoy his food.

I let my thoughts wander to what reality might look like once home.  Once the magic of the kingdom was just a memory, curiosity was playing over and over in my mind as if on repeat.

A bit more firmly now, he says ‘Easy, bud.  You really should drink some water in between?  We have nowhere else to be right now, so you really could go slow.’

Later that afternoon, after returning to our hotel, we decided a swim was in order.  Feeling quite smug about having successfully wooed him into believing that this family of three was really a workable gig, I settled into the lounge chairs and shaded my eyes with my hands to watch ...

Charles?  Um.  What are you doing?  Charles!!  Oh .....

While little feet were positioned on his interlaced hands for a rocket launch into the water, those two boys of mine face to face and grinning like fools at each other, Charles and the turkey leg had an internal battle, and the turkey leg won.

Whistles from the lifeguards. The look of complete astonishment and disgust on his face.  Charles trying to use hands like paddles to swish away the pieces of lunch, not even yet digested.  The pool was being cleared, everyone out, they said.

I closed my eyes.  Maybe if I opened them in a few seconds, the scene I just witnessed will have dissipated into nothing.

No. 

Eyes are open and without a word to me, he is making his way back to the hotel room.





THE PROMPT ::


Know what's NOT funny? People laughing at you.

Take us back to an embarrassing moment in your life.

Did someone embarrass you, your parents perhaps? Or did you bring it upon yourself?

Are you still embarrassed or can you laugh at it now?
Let's keep these to 600 words.

6 comments:

  1. That sounds like it may have been a bit more embarrassing for Charles. As a parent, though, I can feel the mortification of that moment! Great post & very well written. You set the whole thing up beautifully - I could see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It never ceases to amaze me, the things our children do that we feel so responsible for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's terrible!! How could he not understand that a kid is a kid!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Just oh no! Poor Charles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Horrible! Poor Charles and poor Mom! And things were going so well, too :(

    ReplyDelete